AutoDesSys

Old project

Andy

I don`t see any of EIAS Universe 4 at eias3d.com site. Is it an old version or separate product?

It used come with a ACIS based modeller back in the day and mainly fought for customers in the same space as Lightwave, Strata and FormZ.

IMHO Electric Image is another of the fading legends of CG/DCC that somehow lost it's way over the last ten years or so.

Here's an ancient review that makes for interesting reading (with the benefits of hindsight).

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/reviews/creative-software/universe-40/

Well, back in the day, EI was the go to app for animation and rendering, and Z ruled the modeling (mac) world. It was rumored they would get together but each developed these features on their own. EI later dropped the modeler. If you made your living in 3d on a mac, you used both along with Photoshop and others.

Btw, Z was a Mac only app at the time.

Joe

Well, back in the day, EI was the go to app for animation and rendering, and Z ruled the modeling (mac) world. It was rumored they would get together but each developed these features on their own. EI later dropped the modeler. If you made your living in 3d on a mac, you used both along with Photoshop and others.

Btw, Z was a Mac only app at the time.

Joe

By the time Lightwave matured on the Mac in 98 (early versions were shaky to say the least) market share shifted from Strata/FormZ/EI in terms of Mac 3d. All of the Mac based studios I knew of in London moved to Lightwave around this time for 3d stuff. I was a big fan of Lightwave from it's early days on the Amiga so it was a natural progression for me as a Mac user.

Another great piece of nostalgia here - http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/LightWave_History

Lightwave sadly seems to be on it's last legs at the moment (with many of their core user base having moved to Modo) but it's still a great app. A few of the architectural studios I know still use it mainly because of the LWCAD plugin - http://www.wtools3d.com/lwcad-50.php

I myself remember those days when Quick Time VR was introduced by Apple for a first glance. I was a student in University of Maine. We did a project with Quick Time VR in FormZ and Electric Image. It was the second QTWR movie in the world. We felt top of the hill. So I have some nostalgic feeling when I see Electric Image interface :-)

I was an EIAS user, getting into it when they released the "broadcast" version in the late 90's. Electric Image Modeler (EIM) was a superb application. I was a fZ user previous to it and I thought they complemented each other very well because EIM had nice subdivision surfaces and worked with solids which I preferred to other apps. 

• 8 months later...

Archived