#21 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

sounds cool, everything, but maybe slightly off topic - there are some other threads with discussions for render engines in combination with FZ ;-) btw., i am using modo as well for rendering sometimes, and it *has* an excellent render engine, but a plugin is something different as it shortens the workflow by eliminating the model conversion/transfer process. currently the only option for FZ is the excellent maxwell plugin. but maxwell is simply too slow for some of my requirements, even with 48 cores + at my disposal. octane can handle high poly counts, provided you have at least a modern 3G VRAM nvidia card. it also supports out-of-core textures, so the geometry to be handled can be quite large. i'm using it here through lightwave with even the largest of my scenes without issues.

3dworks visual computing + photography

#22 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

If AutoDesSys do go down the GPU route in the long run it's definitely worthwhile looking at RedShift - we've found it superior to Octane in testing. I have a suspicion that iRay is the most likely candidate though seeing as it's also developed by Lightworks (not a fan for what it's worth).

Here's a short taster of RedShift in SoftImage but be sure to check out the more detailed videos on their site. They're a small independent company hungry for dev partners so they should at the very least be open to conversation (they recently reached out to dev partners in the C4D community).

Very high quality and super, super quick!

https://www.redshift3d.com/

#23 bogdan

bogdan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

Hm… Redshift is Windows-only…

#24 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:16 PM

Hm… Redshift is Windows-only…

At this stage but they do plan to port it to OS X in the future. The sad truth with 3d tech right now, is that Wintel boxes outperform Mac's due to Apples fierce consumer focus in recent years. With luck Metal is the start of something new (in particular with regard to GPU rendering tech).

#25 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:46 AM

never could test redshift because on mac only. btw octane will support also AMD cards and opencl as of version 3 (at least they announced it), so it will be truly platform independent.

what i like a lot is that octane - while being a GPU engine - has a very capable layer and passes rendering system, so for example a one file rendering in EXR or PSD format which contains ID layers, separate object layers and for example an occlusion layer is just a mouse click away. perfect for compositing and post production in general.

about redshifts image quality, i must say that i have not seen yet architectural images looking as good as rendered in octane. at least the company gallery page images don't show anything too thrilling to me.

Edited by 3dworks, 24 July 2015 - 02:54 AM.

3dworks visual computing + photography

#26 jonmoore

jonmoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:50 AM

never could test redshift because on mac only. btw octane will support also AMD cards and opencl as of version 3 (at least they announced it), so it will be truly platform independent.

-----

about redshifts image quality, i must say that i have not seen yet architectural images looking as good as rendered in octane. at least the company gallery page images don't show anything too thrilling to me.

To be clear I'm not really a fan of GPU rendering for high quality stills full stop. But for animations Redshift really comes into it's own (or for working on things like exhibition stands, kitchen design modelling and such like in near real time). Being able to go from 30-40 minutes a frame to 2-3 minutes a frame is worth the visual compromises.

V-Ray and Modo's native renderer in 901 are now so fast (especially with the new ALSA capabilities in 901) they compete with GPU solutions in speed tests so there's no need to compromise on photoreal stills work. The 'Adaptive Light Sample Allocation' in Modo 901 has a new direct illumination method that adaptively allocates samples from a global count to each light based on its estimated contribution. This means that interior Archviz scenes that would usually bring a CPU renderer to it's knees because of the multitude of direct lights are now anywhere between 5-20 times faster and all from a single global samples setting which gets dynamically allocated to each light by need. Killer new feature.

I put the test shot below (no work of art but a good example) together with a studio lighting rig (which is always a CPU hog) yesterday in around two hours - that includes building the materials from scratch, look development etc. The combination of the speedy workflow of utilising Modo's preview renderer whilst developing the shot and the speed enhancements of ALSA made for a great experience.

The only reason I bring this up is that GPU rendering isn't the only game in town when it comes to speed. But I am in agreement that having an integrated render engine (if it's well integrated) is always better than having to export geometry to an external engine. However with the improvements in FormZ 8.5's OBJ export engine a world of possibilities have just been opened if you have access to a DCC package to host the GPU solution (Octane, Thea, Redshift, iRay etc). In fact I noticed yesterday that Thea have launched a new version with a 40% discount till August 10th, which makes the studio product €195 (the one most apt for OBJ exports from FormZ). Thea is available for both Mac & PC - CPU, GPU and Hybrid (my favourite of the bunch in Thea) - at the very least, it would seem worthwhile downloading the demo whilst it's priced so low. And as I mentioned a few messages back Modo Indie is available for €295 with very few limitations over the full studio product (a €1795 product). Most importantly it allows you to render at up to 4k resolutions which should be more than enough for most use cases.

And both Thea and Modo area available to use on your projects now. Whilst it's great that Maxwell are exploring the benefits of GPU and it's good to let Autodessys know that it would be beneficial to have a third party GPU plugin integrated within Formz, these things take time and there are low cost options available now that will pay for themselves in a single job.

1iMyT.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users