AutoDesSys

Feature wish list - please add you own requests...

3dworks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would really like to see a few UI things:

1- ability to use the retina screen resolution on a notebook to advantage with the whole UI... (need more modeling space!)

2- would like the palette dock to act like a web page for scrolling with 2 fingers on a notebook or with a scroll button on a mouse

3- like the fly-outs, but they need to be top-justified with the trigger button so when you move the mouse to the right you don't miss the fly-out (as they currently go from the center of the trigger button to the left and down.

Thanks!

Pete

I am going to go out on a limb and request   Vector image mapping.    This should translate to patterns that are flattened.

Now, I am not talking about simple vector line mapping onto a 3D object.  I am talking about full Vector art mapped onto 3D space.

With the ability to slice and dice the 3D and flatten it with the vector transformations intact and export ability to 2D vector applications such as Illustrator.

Better UV Mapping tools.  (Should integrate into the request above)

maybe this was already posted here, but it is a bit disappointing that FZ 8.5 does not introduce

* the  much requested component handling feature, which would be to be able to easily select the picked component in the components manager window via a click.

if a component is selected, the only way to get infos about that component is the mouse hover information and the selected component display box in the parameters tool options pick tool palette. but why is there no context menu or similar to actually select or highlight the component in the manager list? it is a pain, especially if you need to replace components and you search in that 50+ components list for the selected one. this needs to be urgently adressed imo.

while we are at it:

* please make the component manager a RESIZABLE dialog and add some more display modes for the components. at least one with larger previews + component name is badly needed. also, a way to rerender all previews from a user defined axonometry and shading mode is badly needed. components are usually displayed in totally different modes while created during a project. it takes a lot to reopen and resave all components to get a uniformed preview.

* optionally (maybe for V8.6) it would be nice to have an additional front/side/axonometric view in a larger single window while browsing the components.

hope those suggestions can make FZ a little bit easier to use.

markus

While Marcus [3D Works] is on the subject of components, and I agree, any further improvements on top of what have already been made would be appreciated:

Information Management improvements in relation to components and groups.

Toggle 1: a component to report as if it were a single object with its total bounding box size and volume etc.

Toggle 2: each object which is inside a component to report individually but very importantly to indicate in a new column the name of the component [and/or group if applicable] which it resides in.

We don't necessarily always want to know every detail about the individual objects which make up a component, especially if it is an out-sourced item which is included in our products as a single entity, but neither do we want those out-sourced components to be ignored altogether when it comes to our information management. I would also like more controls to enable pricing of objects, groups and components at all levels, as at the moment fields in Information Management are fairly limited.

Snapping.

Don't get me wrong, I love FormZ but occasionally frustration builds up to release a little rant.

FormZ is mature software, by now we really shouldn't have to put up with the following frustrations:

Centre snap. The scenario is this, you have a simple cylinder, in my case a wardrobe hanging rail and you want to dimension to its centre or top while in a basic front view, [no perspective on]. Forget snapping to the top of it [which would be my preference] because FormZ has not built in the dimensioning intelligence to do that, having broken up the cylinder into facets, you are dimensioning to a multisided polygon and it is unlikely there will be a facet or segment exactly at each orthogonal extreme position. So centre it has to be. Now wouldn't you think you could simply switch off all the snaps except centre snap and your cursor would magically tend snap to the closest centre of something? I would, but because we have the big nusience of prioritised segment dimensioning which unacceptably cannot be toggled off, despite requests for this feature for over 2 years, you have to zoom into the centre of the cylinder really close, and perhaps pan  this way and that to find it if it is a long cylinder. It's not just cylinders, even simple cube derived objects which are long and thin, like the front view of a shelf require zooming close to snap effectively. I find this unacceptable. Please Autodessys fix some of these very basic and primitive functionings as not to do so makes it too slow to use or fully recommend professionally. The wasted minutes add up and it costs us time and therefore money and the ability to be competitive or even survive in business sometimes. Sorry to rant but something needs to be done about snapping without zooming, and I add to that the need for display of current dimension so we don't have to zoom in to check that as well.

Maybe already there - but I haven't found it:

• Select all by layer. I've been doing it by locking all the layers but the one I want, then select all.

Then, as already said :

• Better export from Layout to other cad programs.

• Measure tool in Layout does not reflect the scale of the view pane(s).

2 click face / outline selection needs to have an assignable shortcut and probably deserves a spot on the tool options pick palette.

Also could we have a palette into which we can save regularly used 2d profiles, for use with sweeps.

Something like the door/window library.....

Hi Pipo,

You can assign a key shortcut for any menu command via the Edit Menu: Key Shortcuts command, or by simply holding down the Command Option (Mac) or Ctrl Alt (Win) keys when you select the menu item.

• 5 weeks later...

maybe admin could rename this tread into a general feature requests thread? that would avoid to repost things over and over again.

i have another small one for FZ 8.6:

* project cone of vision to working plane. this would be very useful to have the camera cone of vision projected as a triangle instead of a pyramid to the current working plane for generating cuts, plans and isometries with a 2D camera representation. the 3d representation of the cone of vision makes it sometimes hard to track where the cone intersects certain objects on a surface (for example: the ground floor), if you want to show this in non standard views.

markus

• 4 weeks later...

while talking of center snapping (see alan's post) i would love to see a way to set the number of intervals for interval snapping with a hotkey while drawing. maybe we could use the arrow keys to set the snap interval higher or lower...

another idea would be to introduce snapping user presets which are selectable by hotkey.

Archived