AutoDesSys

Windows 10

Alan Cooper

Our preliminary testing of the upcoming release of Windows 10 (using Windows 10 Insider Preview) has not yet revealed any issues related to formZ 7.3.4, formZ 8.0.2, or formZ 8.5 beta 3. Our testing will continue in this area to ensure a smooth transition into this new OS. Note that that we can only guarantee that we will be able to address any issues related to Windows 10 in formZ 8.5 (and later). 

If you are using the Windows 10 Insider Preview, please email or post any feedback or problems that you encounter.

Ordinarily I would not be too interested in upgrading my OS until I buy a new PC, and saw no compelling new features to do so. However reading one of my graphic forums, someone tested DirectX 12 (included in Win10) and bench marked 300% - 400% graphic performance increase using a 3 year old card. Now that's really interesting, if true.

Does formZ use DirectX, OpenGL or... ?

• 1 month later...

There may well be reasons for users to prefer to stick with Windows 7 until it's end of life date which is currently projected to be January 2020. I had anticipated Window 10 to be a positive development, but not so sure now. I hope FormZ updates will be Windows 7 compatible up to that time.

I will stick with version 7

I get around a lot (freelance) and my experience has been that most companies are not switching....indeed many are wiping 8 or 10 & installing v7 on newly purchased machines.

I'm not a tech geek, but it seems there are many concerns about security issues.

Until I see a change in confidence I will not be joining the v10 experience.

It is available for free for at least one year.....so no reason to rush in.

Martin, I am inclined to agree with you, I had at first taken the announcement of Windows 10 positively, on the basis of just one operating system to manage the security of from now on, but I now share your concerns about security and especially privacy which has taken a tumble in the manner of Google. Does anyone remember before Android was released how Google claimed they would zap any errant apps, well that got well out of hand, and I am spooked by how Google seems to be marketing my details to Chinese companies on the basis of what I put in an email using their services, or searched about, [and Google know what my email address is and have the ability to put the 2 together] You can see how they make their money from their free services. Could they be spying on my customers as well and suggesting 'competitors' services to them? It's a bit worrying, and if Microsoft goes down that route too, it could be a good reason to be fearful of taking the free hand out. Sorry this is not very on-topic, but FormZ needs to see windows 7 out to the end.

• 3 months later...

Windows 10 has been running nearly 5 months from official release. Since I have a few issues on my Windows 7 system, and Windows 10 is generally getting positive reports now, despite my earlier reservations, I am expecting to accept the free upgrade from Windows 7 over the Christmas / New Year break after all, unless anybody can suggest a good reason why not. I will backup of course. Any advice welcome.

Hi Alan,

formZ 8.5 and Windows 10 are working fine together for us.  (Previous versions of  also appear to be working well but are not officially supported.)  

Note that after you upgrade, you should also reinstall formZ 8.5 as this installation includes some Microsoft components that are required for all formZ features to work properly.

Reinstalling the latest video driver is also recommended.

(And of course, verify that your other software does not have any issues...)

Archived