AutoDesSys

slow down with mxs references

Thorsten

wow!!!  i just tried it with another scene. i have moved all the prototype mxs objects (mostly vegetation with alphamaps and sometimes sss) out of my cameraview far away from 0:0:0 

and the scene boosted from sl 15 to sl 150 !!

Hi Mojo,

It is a little hard to tell with just screen captures and no project file, but here are 2 thoughts:

1. It is not surprising that moving references-- esp. references using SSS-- out of the render field of view would increase performance. They won't contribute much (or anything) to the scene if they are way off camera. Maxwell very sophisticated with the  optimizations. (However, if they are just off camera, you will see reflections/bounce light from the references, of course.)

2. If you have complex coincident geometry- two exact copies in exactly the same place, or a reference and the original prototype object in exactly the same place, this could slow things down.

3. It may also be that a particular issue (already on our radar) is affecting you: Instead of moving the references far away from where they originally were, just move them a few MM in each of the x,y,z dimensions. This should make the invisible references in "Step 2" visible again. Let us know if that also boosts rendering performance, or not.

my problem is, that i didnt put all these invisible mxs prototype objects at 0:0:0. it happens automatically when i place my mxs references around in my formZ-scene. so i dont want to have them visible ( the prototypes).

the interesting thing is, that my visible mxs-objects are intersecting and overlapping, too - but the slow down effect after moving away these invisible prototypes is much smaller and acceptable.

please take a look at the first screenshot (001 - the right one in the row)) there you can see these point cloud objects. i didnt place them there - i only placed the objects which are in the bounding box mode, you can see them around the house in this screenshot...

so why do these invisivle objects, which are invisible at all in the rendering, slow down my renders  ?

Please send a simple file which reproduces the issue, along with any dependencies, such as MXMs, bitmap textures, etc. to: post-32-0-17749800-1429714822_thumb.jpg Use Dropbox if it's over 10MB.

(Or post a zip here.)

If we have your project, we will investigate why this might be happening.

hi pylon,

here is a link to a simple testfile i created.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10053827/mxs_test.zip

without moving the prototypes away i get a sl around 65.

When moving them away like i did in the screenshots yesterday, i get a sl around 100.

The difference isn't as huge as in my current project file, but still noticeable...

• 1 month later...

Archived