arkona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

I did test with new files.

v7   0:09:02

v8   0:09:05

Both images 5100x3300 looking almost the same, some differences in shadows.

• VitezDiny, JeffreyLofe and Ententpaype like this

#42 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

Hi Arkona,

Ok, that makes a bit more sense (although we are still surprised why formZ 8 is not faster on your computer).  At least the values are now in the right ballpark!

#43 DMclean

DMclean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

Imager seems to have broken again... When I originally went to do the test Renderzone was not an option. I reinstalled formZ 8, then ran imager, reregistered the programs and all went well. Saw Renderzone was available, then started to run the test but much like Markus' comment (I also have the Mid2010 12 core} gave up after about and hour and had to Quit and get back to work before completing so I Force Quit. Just went back to try and do the test now and find I am back at my original state of not having Renderzone as an option. Nuking the preferences didn't do the trick so I guess I'll have to reinstall and try again.

Thanks,

Doug

#44 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi Doug,

If you make sure you have Read / Write Preferences to the formZ Folder and enclosed items, and Repair Permissions, does that help?

And with OS X, it is recommended that you set the Imager: Preferences: # Processors to the actual number of cores (and not the virtual cores).  Does setting it to 12 (or even 6) help?

#45 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:58 AM

maybe it would be interesting to have a modeling only benchmark to see how FZ performs with modeling tasks like booleans etc on the different machines. maybe this can be achieved by a script? as most modeling operations are single threaded, this would also avoid the issues with the unoptimized RZ engine on 6 core machines, mac pro's etc.

cheers

markus

3dworks visual computing + photography

#46 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russian Federation

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hello Tech.

I downloaded FormZ as you wrote yet RenderZone option does not show in imager.

Anton Voloshin,

architect, interior designer, product designer.

#47 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hi Anton,

Sorry you are having trouble.  Try this:

Go to the Finder: Go Menu, hold down the Option key, choose Library: Preferences: autodessys: -- and delete the formZ 8 Imager folder.

Next, go to Applications: Utilities: Disk Utility, choose your Hard Drive, and Repair Disk Permissions.

Does that help?

#48 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:43 AM

Hi Anton,

Sorry you are having trouble.  Try this:

Go to the Finder: Go Menu, hold down the Option key, choose Library: Preferences: autodessys: -- and delete the formZ 8 Imager folder.

Next, go to Applications: Utilities: Disk Utility, choose your Hard Drive, and Repair Disk Permissions.

Does that help?

Did all you wrote still:

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 13.41.58.png

Anton Voloshin,

#49 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi Anton,

If you go to the Imager: Extensions Menu: Extensions Manager, is the RenderZone Plugin listed, and does it have a red checkmark to its left?

Also, if you Quit the Imager, go to Applications: Utilities, run the Console, click the Clear button, then launch the Imager, can you copy and paste the contents of the Console and email it to us so we can see what that indicates?

#50 AHTOH

AHTOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:04 AM

Hi Anton,

If you go to the Imager: Extensions Menu: Extensions Manager, is the RenderZone Plugin listed, and does it have a red checkmark to its left?

Also, if you Quit the Imager, go to Applications: Utilities, run the Console, click the Clear button, then launch the Imager, can you copy and paste the contents of the Console and email it to us so we can see what that indicates?

Yes  I have Render Zone on in Extensions Manager:

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 14.56.53.png

Anton Voloshin,

#51 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hi Anton,

We just found a case whereby the Maxwell Render Plugin can potentially cause RenderZone to not show in the Imager.  Thanks for helping to bring this to our attention, we will get this corrected.

Do you have this Maxwell Render Plugin loaded?  If so, if you Quit formZ and Imager, and add an Underscore ("_") to the beginning of the name of the folder:

Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 4.46.28 PM.jpg

Does RenderZone then reappear when you relaunch the Imager?

#52 asmithey

asmithey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:01 AM

My cpu usage does not go above 50% when rendering from the imager.  It shows in the prefs to use all 40 cores but does not appear to be.  It appears to not be rendering with virtual cores.

Edited by asmithey, 06 February 2015 - 01:10 AM.

#53 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

Hi Aaron,

There are diminishing returns to using multiple cores in the same machine, as the overhead to manage all the cores can exceed their benefit at some point.  You would probably be better off generating 2 renderings on 2 separate computers with fewer processors...

You might want to experiment with limiting the number of processors in the Imager (or formZ) Preferences.  We have seen some cases with certain computers and files where using 6 or 8 for OS X, or 16 on Windows can give faster results than using all cores, especially when they are virtual and not actual cores...

#54 asmithey

asmithey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

I render with Maxwell anyway.  Maxwell uses all cores physical and virtual.

#55 bluemonkey

bluemonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

Some time ago I recorded the following speed using FormZv7 

13:35      Xeon     3.5 Ghz   2013 MacPro 6 Core              OSX 10.9.5           v7  

I've just upgraded to v8.5 and the performance test file is taking longer to render?

16.59      Xeon     3.5 Ghz   2013 MacPro 6 Core              OSX 10.9.5           v8.5  

(Using all 12 Virtual cores)

16.40      Xeon     3.5 Ghz   2013 MacPro 6 Core              OSX 10.9.5           v8.5  

(Using just 6 Virtual cores)

Edited by bluemonkey, 06 January 2016 - 01:29 PM.

#56 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

Hi BlueMonkey,

That's strange.  If you run the v7 test again now, do you still get the faster time you note above, or is it now rendering the same speed as v8.5? 

(Is it the version change that is causing the issue, or is it something else that changed on your computer?)

#57 DennisA

DennisA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:24 PM

3D works with your MacPro 2010 need to use only 6 processors in preferences. I have same computer & same issues (a long time problem). This may be a question we should ask the LightWorks rendering engine company.

Any one know if the Current 2013 Mac Pro 12 core has same problem?

#58 bluemonkey

bluemonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for you replies - How many virtual cores should I set? 12 virtual (using 6 real cores) or 6 virtual (using 3 real cores)?

Using v7 test gives a similar time to the original between 13:30 and 13:40.

When I watch whats happening in the activity monitor:

with v8 there are a few peaks and troughs in the CPU load graph

with 7 it's flat across the top

V7 seems to use all 12 virtual cores, whereas V8 gives the same result using 6 virtual cores as it does using 12 virtual cores?

I will try and do some more detailed experiments later and post the results, however if you have any suggestions in the mean time would be a great help.

#59 Justin Montoya

Justin Montoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

It shouldn't be happening, but it IS happening to many of us Tech! 

v7 is faster rendering than v8.   It's even more noticeable when you have more than 6 CPUs /12 threads.  Sure you can set the preferences to use less cores than we have (12c/24t) and get some of the speed back, but that just proves that the v8 rendering engine is very poorly optimized, and even after doing that, it's still slower than v7.  We need to be able to use as many CPU threads as we can to speed up the renderings!

This should be fixed via a free update before anyone is asked to pay for another 'upgrade' in FormZ.  

#60 bluemonkey

bluemonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:21 AM

So I tried the performance test file again. - preferences set to all cores

Using v7 on OSX 10.9.5 on mac pro 3.5 GHz 6 core I still get times between 13:30 and 13:40

Using v8.5 on OSX 10.9.5 on mac pro 3.5 GHz 6 core I got time of 16:45

In a fit of madness and clouded judgement I updated OS to El Capitan and now get

Using v8.5 on OSX 10.11.2 on mac pro 3.5 GHz 6 core I got time of 23:59???

(I've tried this several times and get similar results)

So I then tried it on a PC

Using v8.5 on Windows 10 on PC i7 4 GHz 4 core I got time of 09:36???

I compared the images from the PC and MacPro and they are identical.

I'm obviously doing something wrong with my Mac. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edited by bluemonkey, 14 January 2016 - 06:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users