AutoDesSys

Image strength on coloured glass

Sammi

Hi guys

What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to put an image of graphics onto a coloured glass panel - I am using a tiff image with alpha channels.

As you can see from the files I attach, when I put the image onto a white panel the graphic strength is brill but i can't seem to get the same strength when I put it onto the coloured glass panel.

Sorry if this is a silly question with an easy answer but I have taught myself Form Z and I am still trying to learn everyday!

Thanks in advance for any replys

Sammi   :) 

graphics onto white.pdf

graphics onto Perspex.pdf

Hi Sammi,

It is difficult to answer your question with only the PDF files.  (If you upload JPG files, you can see them directly in the post without having to download and open them in another program.)  Please post or email your .FMZ file so we can help.

Probably easiest to do this by having your graphic on a flat plane (or use the billboard tool) in front of the piece of 'perspex' - so you have 2 objects the graphic (which uses the alpha channel) and the piece of perspex behind.

- I'm guessing at the moment you have the graphic placed on one of the faces of the perspex, then when you make that transparent it is making your graphic transparent too?

As tech said hard to see what you are doing without fmz file. Try constant in material and make sure opaque is picked if applying material as decal. Lights should be hard shadow with transparent selected. In render zone all lights shoukd be as per light.

Yes 'bluemonkey' that is what I have at the minute.

Thank you, 'DennisA',  'bluemonkey'  and 'Tech'  I will try these and see which works best.

Like I said I taught myself Form Z so I am reluctant to upload a fmz file as I am sure I do a lot of things wrong and you would all be screaming 'What an earth has she done that for?!'

But I can get around in the program and eventually I get a model our company is happy with.

Thanks all once again for your great and kind help

Sammi

As with most software (as shown in the answers above) there are usually many ways of doing the same thing (with subtle differences in the result).

The best way is the one that suits you. 

We are all self taught and it's always interesting to see how other people tackle the same problem - it often gives you another idea on how to approach something. I wouldn't worry about publishing stuff, the guys on this forum are very helpful and not critical - it also helps support identify the problem quicker.

If you can get the results you want its obviously working for you.

Hi guys,

I have tried your suggestions but obviously I am doing them wrong! ... fmz files attached!   ...... as you can see I am not doing very well!

Please ignore the light position etc everyone, I just quickly added a light to see the difference

'bluemonkey'  -  I tried 2 graphics in front of each other but the front graphic needs a material doesn't it, and then I cant see through this material to the perspex behind!? -  unless there is a way to create an object without a material?

also, I have not used the 'billboard tool' so I will check that out this morning

'DennisA'  -  I can't find 'opaque' anywhere to be able to pick it!?

'Tech'  -  I also tried to use the transparency settings for the decal!

Thanks for any help or advice

Sammi   :)

post-954-0-86419000-1422348171_thumb.jpg

Graphic in front of perspex.zip

I think you are missing an alpha channel for the transparency - sorry I think we all assumed and missed this.

I'll have a look at your file at lunch time and post back - unless support gets up early.

You need an alpha channel for the graphic file (PSD).

You need to make your perspex object and give it the transparency/colour you want.

The make a simple plane in front to put the graphic onto. Space it off by a millimetre.

Make the new material for the graphic. Material type 'shaded'. 'Colour' - 'textured' and load up the graphic image. Then 'transparency' - 'texture' and choose the graphic again but using the alpha channel.

The alpha channel dictates the transparency (it needs to be set up in photoshop beforehand). The same applies for using decal - you need the alpha channel with the areas set up you need transparent.

Is this what we were missing?

Hi Sammi

are you trying to create the effect of a screen printed panel (or vinyls) so the images and text are opaque only? (and you see through in between)

you need to create an alpha channel in photoshop of all the solid areas then add it to your decal - go Transparency > Transparency Map (check Alpha channel)

you can then add the decal to any material

I do it all the time and it's easy  =)

steve

post-823-0-59505100-1422363066_thumb.jpg

a huge thanks 'bluemonkey' and  'bonzo65'

I now have chance to try this new advice, sorry I forgot to include the graphic image!

I do have an alpha channel I created in Photoshop, but I now think I have set the wrong part as the alpha channel (by inversing it!)  I have never been able to import a psd file into fmz, I always save it as a tiff but now I guess the tiff is a problem too?!

I was hoping to get the effect of a perspex panel with vinyls onto it, so yes, the images and text are to be opaque only.

I will have a play now

Thanks again both of you

Sammi  :) 

'bluemonkey'

Can I ask why this decal should be shaded and not renderzone?

I have always used renderzone when adding my own created decals.

But I do now think that I need a psd file as this keeps its transparency background doesn't it but have you a clue why I cant upload a psd file into fmz 7 - if I select 'all files', psd isn't an option I can choose?!

Sammi

Hi Sammi

psd or tiff will be fine

see files below - thats how the alpha channel should look (opaque objects in white)

add the alpha channel to the decal and make sure 'use alpha channel' is selected (under Transparency > Transparency Map)

add the decal to your glass and hey presto  :)

if you are applying to a material with a transparency applied (say simulating a voile) you need to check the opacity box to make it appear solid

this may look slightly different in version 8 (this is 6.7)

steve

post-823-0-36938700-1422372841_thumb.jpg

post-823-0-65030200-1422372852_thumb.jpg

post-823-0-64871000-1422372872_thumb.jpg

Hi Sammi,

In addition to what Steve and Blue have said -- if you are on Windows, you will need to make sure that you have the current version of Quicktime properly installed, and use the 32 bit version of formZ to access PSD files.

Ah, thanks Tech, will get my boss to update me!

Thanks Steve, I had created my alpha channel correctly and uploaded it correctly too ..... I know, I was shocked myself :) but I cannot find the opacity box to check, only this one which is greyed out?

Is there another opaque box I am not finding or is there a way to make this one not greyed out?

I am going to play with checking 'make only black areas transparent' and see if this helps too.

But thanks again to you all, I am getting much better results than yesterday morning with all your advice :)

Sammi

post-954-0-17589700-1422374632_thumb.jpg

hey Sammi

you can uncheck 'make black areas transparent'

have you applied a transparency to your perspex texture map? for perspex/glass only use 'glass' (reflection) and set transparency to none - otherwise you end up with a 'double' transparency which might be causing the problem

I am starting to think this is my problem Steve, I don't use Alpha channels a lot so I thought I had a problem with the image file but yes, I think I have a double transparency issue!

I am definitely on the right track now with all your great advice and help.

Will post a final rendered shot with the correct result

Sammi  :)  

Phew, well I made hard work of that didn't I, silly me !!

Another thing you have all taught me :) 

I really appreciate all your friendly help and advice everyone and a huge thank you for your patience too :)

Sammi

post-954-0-06925100-1422377135_thumb.jpg

Archived