AutoDesSys

Some IES files don't work

thecadman

I am trying to make some good looking spotlights and having to resort to IES as the edge of spots from FormZ/Maxwell are too sharp even if I use inner angle 0 and outer angle say 100.

However lots of the IES files that I have don't register with Maxwell/FormZ.

Why is this? 

I tried to attach one of the files that doesn’t work (but it works in Cinema 4D, Vectorworks etc) but it seems you can only attach images to this forum!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

From another post, it sounds like you are using the Maxwell beta. This beta has great new options for the type falloff in the 'parameters' tab. If you experiment with the different types in Fire, it is likely you will find one that suits your needs.

post-32-0-09526800-1421678881_thumb.png

In general, IES files work. Please attach one that is not and we will have a look. (Try zipping the file before uploading.)

Steve,

That IES file is not valid, at least a far as Maxwell is concerned. This is not specific to the plugin. If you launch MXED and make a new emitter with that IES, it will fail.

It may be that the file is truly not valid, or that it is but that Maxwell cannot read it for some reason. Please contact Next Limit customer support (through their forum, or by logging into the customer gateway and clicking on 'Technical Support Form'). Provide the file, tell them the issue can be reproduced in MXED.

Nice image of the cone lights... The way the light hits the floor varies dramatically between the types, too... might be worth showing.

Archived