AutoDesSys

Information About Thea Plugin Voting 31.10.2104

Walter

Something going on with the Thea vote .......

Yesterdax when i did the post Revit had 155 votes, now there are 307

FormZ had as time 213, now there are 229

Within 18 hours there are 152 counts on Revit - that can't be true .....

And don't forget that it's a per browser restriction on the one vote per day, so you can vote from your tablet, your phone, and everyone else's computer in the office while they're at lunch...  :D  Surely we can get past Arhicad...

D

The voting now seems more reflective of the install bases for each product. Maya is the anomaly here but Thea is especially attractive to the Architectural sector not entertainment so that doesn't surprise me (probably the reason Modo's votes are so low too).

The thing that many people forget is that Archicad & Allplan are the major players in continental Europe, Australia and many parts of Africa. Revit is only the dominant player in the US, UK & Ireland.

Whatever happens with the vote, I really hope the Solid Iris team include FormZ for their next stage of plugin development. Maxwell is an excellent option if you can afford the render times but Thea is able to achieve great quality renders in a fraction of the time via it's hybrid CPU/GPU mode. One of my clients has started using it exclusively for architectural walkthroughs (via the C4D plugin). I also think Autodessys and Solid Iris are a good cultural fit as commercial partners (plucky outsiders with great products). 

Seems they have dropped the poll on their home page?

The forum only refers to the forum poll....(currently formZ is highest with 16%....Bonzai polls in at 10%)

If you have not voted in this poll please vote for formZ

http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=15639

They are still requesting people to vote....

''Dear friends,

we would like to draw everyone's attention to our recent poll about the most anticipated integrations for Thea.
You can see the poll in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=112&t=15639

This poll is of great interest for us but we would like also to address users outside Thea community, so as to
get the most balanced results. Although, we will have to take also other things in mind before making certain
choices, the poll will serve as a guide.

Towards our users, we would like you to spread the word for this poll outside Thea community. If you are
subscribed to a forum or you can submit news to a site, please share the link above and encourage users
to visit the thread and vote*.

Thank you in advance.
Best wishes

* Please note that for safety reasons, one has to register before voting''

Martin,

I believe the the vote is now closed and what you see in the forum posting is an embedded graphic reflective of the voting status before Solid Iris moved the vote to their homepage (it only shows 233 total votes).

I think FormZ ended up in 4th or 5th place, which is still a major achievement considering how much smaller FormZ's install base is than the competition. Now that FormZ Free is available (and if Autodessys allow 3rd party rendering plugins for FormZ Free), there is a stronger argument for Solid Iris to keep FormZ on their radar. I suspect though that Archicad & Revit are next in line for Solid Iris's small dev team (and maybe Maya too as that picked up a fair number of votes towards the end of the poll).

I think it will need a concerted effort from the Autodessys team too. They need to reach out to Solid Iris and sell the benefits of a FormZ plugin rather than rely on the results of a poll on the Thea homepage.

Hi Jon,

I'm not so sure the other poll was of any value to them....(no registration required...multiple voting possible)

At one point Allplan had close to 0 votes....within an hour it got over 3,000 votes and went into the lead above Archicad and Revit.

I'm aware Archicad and Revit have a significant user base....but Allplan?

There has been no announcement that the poll is finished as far as I'm aware....plus the quote I have posted is from their forum Announcement sub section.

In my role as a PM I have learnt to assume nothing!

I would suggest people carry on voting.

Martin,

Fair enough, but I'd suggest that somebody leaves a message in the Thea forum thread first before going to all this effort to ensure that the poll is still active and the poll tool in the forum thread isn't still live because of an admin oversight. It would be a pity to galvanise more support only to find out that it's been a wasted effort.

I registered a different user name (using a different browser) while i was on the Thea forum and registered a couple of new votes... :)

With regards to Allplan, it's got a far bigger install base than you would imagine as it's one of the original BIM products alongside Bentley that's used by major architectural/engineering practises (it's the dominant player in Germany). Bentley is still considered the BIM gold standard by many but the average 3d creative has never even heard of it. Most probably because it's about £20k per license!

Was that a totally unscientific poll?  Or is it just me?

The place it went wrong was when they allowed people to vote once per day per browser session. The forum vote wasn't particularly fair either as it was speaking mainly to the converted (having to be registered as a Thea forum member is a huge barrier to involvement if you're not currently a Thea customer).

If you're a small development house such as Solid Iris you can't afford to develop plugins for a platform if it has a limited pool of potential customers and much as the survey was unscientific I think it still provided Solid Iris with enough information to help inform their decision.

Having worked with Thea since it's earliest beginnings I know how long it took for Solid Iris to bring their existing plugins to maturity (especially the C4D plugin) so I believe it's a major undertaking for them to consider new platforms. They developed first for 3ds Max and Sketchup because they knew their renderer would appeal to the architectural sector and they picked the two products with the largest market share to maximise potential sales. The risks involved in developing plugins for smaller install bases are significant as a small development house can't afford to miss out on recouping on their investment (especially if it's taking developers away from their core product).

If it wasn't for Pylon, the Maxwell plugin probably wouldn't be available for FormZ. However the success of the Maxwell plugin for FormZ must be a great case study for Autodessys to put forward to Solid Iris. I think this is of far greater value than any web poll as it's based on sales success.

As an independent observer I believe that Archicad & FormZ should be next on their dev list not because of the size of their install bases (and number of votes they received) but because culturally Solid Iris are a good fit for both Graphisoft and Autodessys (companies who will work in partnership with Solid Iris as it's a mutually beneficial relationship). As I mentioned earlier I think they'll go with Archicad & Revit which is a pity, because even though Revit has a large install base, Autodesk are pushing Revit users to it's Cloud Rendering services and I would suspect will do very little to promote Thea to its customer base.

Really hope Solid Iris do consider FormZ though, as it's such a superior option to Renderzone. That is unless Renderzone undergoes a major makeover by Lightworks but that seems unlikely seeing as iRay now seems to be their main product offering and their CAD customers are increasingly moving to more sophisticated options (e.g. Graphisoft recently integrated the C4D rendering engine into Archicad).

I got a reply from Giannis (core developer of Thea) ref the status of the vote and it's still live due to fraudulent voting on the home page:

"It is definitely live; there were some "security issues" with the front page, where we received thousands of votes within a few hours.

We have those results in mind, keeping the trends; but we decided to keep currently only the forum poll which is more reliable as it requires registration.
Best wishes"

So keep spreading the word. All efforts will definitely be worthwhile.

Archived