AutoDesSys

Working with scanned drafts

AHTOH

If you might need to make your model based on scanned drafts and/or hand drawings you might find this tip useful.

Make a new material and use your scanned image as texture. Create a rectangle on required plane (plan or x-z or y-z). In Render Zone material settings use your image as transparency map and make black areas transparent. Voila: you have only your black lines in space and no white paper obstacles to view your entire model.

post-46-0-60359800-1416927137_thumb.png

post-46-0-89783500-1416927138_thumb.png

Hi Anton,

Yes, and you can also use the Measure tool to measure a portion of the drawing, then enter the desired Distance in the Tool Options and click Update to automatically scale your object to the desired size.

You can also use the Underlay feature from the Reference Plane Parameters, and add a Transparency option for that if you like.  (The Measure: Update feature will also work on Reference Plane Underlays -- as long as you check that option from the Tool Options…)

It is not quite about underlay on reference plane, but more about to have two or more drafts visible at a time which is not quite possible with underlay. So I use rectangles to have drafts on two or more planes.

Besides I did not get how I can make underlays with transparent parts?

I mean: underlay is not transparent.

post-46-0-79679900-1416931840_thumb.png

Hi Anton,

Yes, there are different ways to work with Underlays, and using Reference Planes, and using rectangles mapped with objects both have their advantages.  (And you can use the Billboard tool to automatically map an image onto a rectangle.)

In the Reference Plane Parameters, there is a Transparency option just below where you specify the Underlay Image...

Archived