AutoDesSys

Help with repair Object

Walter

Hi,

i have a roof tile which i want to difference with a cube. I can#t do that cause formz says: "different types of objects picked. The boolean operations require that all operands be of the same type."

How  can i change the roof tile that i can use the boolean operations? Would be great to show me the way. (roof tile is in the attach.)

post-30-0-14684100-1415949564_thumb.jpgRoof Tile.zip

Hi Walter, I think it'd be quicker to redraw that object! If you turn on "show face normals", you will see that all the faces have reversely coincident faces (arrows pointing two directions from the same face). And if you run object doctor on it, you will see the amount of faces that need to be triangulated (non planer faces). Just ghost it's layer and use it to retrace a new model, that's what I would do...

Des

Hi Walter,

Yes, as Des notes, this is not a proper solid, so redrawing it would probably be the easiest way to generate a good version of this.   Note that if you are going to be copying thousands of these around your roof, you will probably want to simplify it a bit as well.

This process will remove UV texture mapping but is a fairly quick way of eliminating two sided polygons and cleaning up the resulting single surface object

1.  Derive faces as individual separate objects

2.  Run project Doctor to eliminate duplicate objects

3.  Stitch all objects together with Stitch Tool

4.  Use Separate tool to separate different remaining surface objects

5.  Identify the main object and delete other duplicate incomplete surfaces

6.  Select segments along top underside edge and scale to zero to straighten

7.  Delete points of near collinear segments

8.  Run Object Doctor to add missing face underneath to create a solid

Roof Tile Solid.fmz.zip

Archived