AutoDesSys

vray for FZ - any updates?

3dworks

Pretty easy to see a pattern here:

Autodesk is a huge company that has the most pull.  They own Revit, Maya, 3DS Max and a lot of other software.  Millions of user licenses

Sketchup is owned by Google.  No need to explain that. Tens of millions of users.

Rhino is a little bit of a conundrum.  Not sure of their size.

Autodessys:  not sure of their size either but I would imagine under 40 employees. 

I would be interested to know the number of active user licenses there are issued for Form.z versions 6 and newer.  That would help determine the demand for third party software solutions to our problem. 

Chime in any time

ASONE,

FormZ:  Renderzone, Maxwell

There is also Artlantis native export.....at least up to v7 exports Artlantis v3 ......not sure why its not available in 8?

FYI

Revit exports to most of the renderers/3rd party products you name.....they are mostly not integrated.....FormZ could make claim to the same if they sorted out fbx, dae and skp export.

Pretty easy to see a pattern here:

Autodesk is a huge company that has the most pull.  They own Revit, Maya, 3DS Max and a lot of other software.  Millions of user licenses

Sketchup is owned by Google.  No need to explain that. Tens of millions of users.

Rhino is a little bit of a conundrum.  Not sure of their size.

Autodessys:  not sure of their size either but I would imagine under 40 employees. 

I would be interested to know the number of active user licenses there are issued for Form.z versions 6 and newer.  That would help determine the demand for third party software solutions to our problem. 

Chime in any time

A little bit of clarity rather than tribal alliances is exactly what's needed here (agree with what you're saying in general Andrew, but in all fairness Sketchup has been owned by Trimble for the last few years) . It's all about numbers. Those companies with large install/user bases have lots of third party options (and Rhino is another product with a huge install base because McNeel have always run extensive open beta programs that give them far greater reach than would normally be expected).

In a very good way, Autodessys punch way above their weight, as we're not comparing FormZ with the majority of other CAD offerings. But FormZ has no way of competing with the install bases of Max, Maya, C4D, Modo, Sketchup or Rhino.

If you're committing resources to developing a plugin for a third party platform, it makes sound business sense to concentrate on those products that have the biggest install bases. I'm not so sure that FormZ can compete in this area so it's down to Autodessys or a company like Pylon to convince those third party vendors that FormZ is a worthy target for their efforts.

It interests me that Autodessys have yet to comment in this thread...

A couple bits of history:

http://www.formz.com/forum/old/messages/49778/49977.html

http://www.formz.com/forum/old/messages/16/58732.html

They announced prematurely (after much prodding from us users.)

Especially frustrating that there was apparently enough development to get to a beta phase, and then it died on the vine..?

I'd expect it is a tough sell to get any third party to take it up for profit potential; it is a bit bewildering to me as to why auto•des•sys can't be that third party themselves in the interest of self-preservation. I suppose resources are not unlimited but imho this is a critical issue for them going forward. I really hope they can gain some traction with V8 and the free version.

I wrote Chaos Group and they would not comment...

I'm on their beta team for both Maya & Modo and they have a policy of not announcing anything unless it's a public announcement. This can be a real pain as they have a habit of leaving you in the dark as to specific aspects of a current betas status (the current Modo beta is Windows only but many of my clients are OS X based so it's important information for them to get an indication of availability for their platform).

It's a pain but it's the Chaos way of managing 'the bush telegraph' from spreading misinformation.

It's one of the reasons that I was surprised that Autodessys mentioned that V-ray was on the cards a few years back as there was never an official announcement from Chaos Group.

Archived